A photo of us on campus in St. Louis

Friday, May 8, 2009

More on Babysitting, My Midnight Snack, and Running in the Rain

It's a really wonderful thing to babysit. (Almost) all the kids think that I'm just about the coolest person ever. Some will run up and give me hugs when they see me, others will wave and yell frantically, worried that I might not notice them. How flattering. This is a good time to pay tribute to my old babysitters. A lot of my best memories are of them and what they did with us. They were fun and awesome because they played with us, listened to us, and really seemed to enjoy being with us. I'm realizing that that's what I am to some kids! Kids are easy to please; I can be really cool and fun without trying hard, but it's still kind of shocking and sometimes pressuring! Will they still think I'm cool? Not exactly peer pressure...
My midnight snack wasn't actually at midnight. And it wasn't dramatic. I didn't witness anything horrifying or amazing (no murders or flying frogs) and I really didn't do anything interesting. To tell the truth, I think the only reason I want to tell about it is that life here is like life anywhere else--boring. So when anything slightly out-of-the-ordinary or unusual happens... let's blog about it! (some of you might like to hear about what ordinary life is like. more on that later.) With that thrilling, deeply meaningful introduction, let me begin (since it actually isn't very dramatic, understand that extra drama will be added.)
It was a dark and stormy night. As I walked back from my babysitting job, I had no thought in mind other than the fervent hope that I would make it back to my apartment building unmauled. Although I was only a few yards away from my building, rabid bats were known to haunt those parts! I crept cautiously through the darkness, pausing at the rustle of leaves, the hoot of an owl, and the cry of the coyote. I finally made it safely home, never mind how, and managed to make my way to the bedroom and bathroom. I had made all the necessary preparations for bed, indeed was lying safely in that same bed, when a blood-chilling thought occurred to me! My only sustenance that night had been a small bowl of cream of tomato soup, the kind that comes in a can!! And although my body was tired, my mind fogged, my senses numbed, I staggered out of bed, straggled down the hallway and finally landed in the kitchen. How I made it those final few inches, I know not. My amazing inner sense of direction must have guided me. Rousing my final reserves of energy, I pulled open the fridge, and made myself a sandwich. And not just any sandwich! It had not only ham, but pepperoni also! You may well marvel at my amazing achievement. Plus, it had horseradish. Wait till you hear what I did next. I poured a glass of milk--AND DRANK IT!! Then I had to brush my teeth again and I went to bed. The end. One may well wonder where my parents were during this harrowing tale of brave deeds and desperate means. The truth is, they left after I went to bed. I know, can you believe it!?

Now, what happened.

One Thursday evening, I got home from babysitting and went to bed. while I was lying in bed, my parents left. Don't ask where they were, don't know. Then I was hungry because I had only drank some tomato soup in a hurry before I left for my babysitting job. I got up and made a sandwich and ate it with some milk. then I "brushed my teeth and went to bed."

Which story sticks to the facts? Which story is more interesting? That is for you to answer, for that I do not know (actually that's not strictly true...)

And this morning I went running in a light drizzle with my mom. It was refreshing and invigorating--after I was done:p I felt awful while I was doing it. Now I should probably close but I said I would write on ordinary life. Ooooo, I forgot to tell about my audition. Well, those will have to wait for another time! I'll see how many comments of tortured suspense I get. "Oh, Madeleine, please write more! I'm dying to hear about everyday life!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Oh, Madeline, please write more!
I'm dying to hear about everyday life!"

BlueLotusJoy said...

I also enjoy babysitting, it makes me feel important. and "I'm dying to hear about everyday life!"

Or to at least hear something form you all!

~ Emily Scheerer

Unique Legos said...

Thank you for the exciting read. Next time you babysit you should demand transportation and snacks in addition to money!

Anonymous said...

Children you MUST write more! I check almost THREE TIMES a week!

Jason and Jessica said...

I loved babysitting for you guys...way back when Elise hated to go to bed and would drag herself slowly up the stairs--I don't think I've even seen a kid take that long to climb a flight of stairs :) I'm starting to feel really old, though, now that the kids I used to babysit are grown up enough to babysit for my own little munchkin!