Friday, July 20, 2007
We finally have Internet...but now the computer isn't working
I am writing this from an internet kiosk at the hotel across the street from our apt in Jerusalem. I hope to have the problem fixed before I return to the kibbutz for class Monday morning, but for now we still have very limited e-mail access. I thought Peru was supposed to be the third world part of our adventures. Once we're back on I'll get our latest photos posted. Rae and the kids came with my class on our trip to the north (Megido, Jezreel, Sea of Galilee, Hatzor, Dan, Golan Heights, Mt. Gilboa, Bet Shean). Because we're studying Hebrew we visited sites corresponding to our Old Testament readings (Solomon's fortified cities, Naboth's Vineyard, the death of Jezebel, Jeraboam's gold calves, the death of Saul, Gideon). The best thing about the field trips has been how they have impressed the geography of the Bible on my mind. Other than the geography there is really not much to see here from the days of the Judges and Kings of Israel. It is all buried under more than 3000 yrs of Persian, Greek, Roman, Crusader, and Turkish history. This is interesting in itself but not really why we came here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Sounds like you need to consult someone with professional technical support experience. --MT
Sounds like you are all enjoying your adventures, despite the computer problems. We went to Ireland last year and the thing that stood out to me the most was the history...seeing things that are nearly 5000 years old. I can't even imagine seeing and experiencing what your family is seeing...amazing! =)
You'll ace your bible entrance exam- geography is the make or break component.
Our Assoc Pastor, Ryan Speck, is currently preaching through the books of Samuel and we just hear of Saul's death and now the ascendency of David. And you were there! Wow.
Enjoy the family site-seeing. JDB
how's the ear?
Thanks for asking Amber. My ear is better in that whatever is growing in there is no longer completely blocking the ear canal, but it's still there and I still need to have it checked out. I brought my own internist with me (Jason) but forgot to bring an ENT. Rob, what's the name of that ENT in St. Louis? I might as well set up an appointment now.
Post a Comment