Traffic is about what you'd expect for a third world country in a smaller city. There's very few actual traffic jams, because all drivers ignore lane markings and just edge forward or squeeze around. Taxi drivers especially don't hesitate to drive the wrong way, even on the other side of a median, if a lane is blocked due to construction, or to back into oncoming traffic. Interesting to us, (irritating to Charlie), is the constant honking. Drivers use their horns to talk to each other. Just as some people talk incessantly, some drivers drive with one hand on the horn at all times. The honking can mean, "I'm approaching this intersection," "Get out of the way," "I'm not stopping for you," "I'm not stopping for you either," "I'm passing..." "I'm turning..." "Don't turn, I'm passing." There are regular sounding horns, but also a couple of variations--some R2D2-like beepers and an alarming kind of croaker.
Taxis also talk to pedestrians with their horns. All morning and evening there are plenty of available taxis, so instead of you trying to hail a cab, the cabs are trying to hail you by beeping. "Wanna ride? Wanna ride?" They will keep honking, too, until you lift and shake your index finger to say no, or totally ignore them as they slow down and pass you. I've even had taxis try to hail me while I'm jogging in running clothes against traffic. I guess that tells you how I look when I'm jogging!
Monday, May 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment